Testing for leaks

I haven't had a chance to write up a livestock plan yet. As it happens, my Biocube 29 arrived last week and was happily pumping water for a couple days while I tested it for leaks. I also picked up a Koralia-1 and a Jager 100-Watt heater from my LFS.

Oceanic has clearly been listening to its customers- I was greeted by a very nice and very convenient window on the back of the tank right over most of the center of chamber 2... this was a mod that many people had to do themselves with a razor blade, scraping off the coating and leaving scratches and ragged edges. Now my Nano-Glo has a perfect spot to sit and light up my Chaetomorpha at night. I did have to mod the chamber 1 -> chamber 2 passage so that the whole width of the chamber passes water instead of the stock ~1 inch width. In the second picture below there is a faint dotted red line marking where I cut the wall between chamber 1 and 2 to allow more water to pass through.




Sunday afternoon, and completely on a whim, I decided to visit one of the nicer fish stores I've ever been in. If you are ever in Dublin, California, stop by Aquarium Concepts on Amador Plaza Rd. I walked in and the first thing I saw on the counter was a JBJ Nano-Glo! This was an item I wasn't able to find in stores, and online it cost $59.99 and up. Aquarium Concepts sells them for $49.99. Brick and Mortar prevails, for once.



 
After testing the tank at capacity for a day and a half, I emptied it of water and moved it onto the stand, which I had assembled a couple nights before. The stand took no more than 40 minutes to put together.. very simple construction. It's sturdy and I don't think I will be having problems with it. I realized that there will be at least seven power cables draped down the back side of the stand and fishtank; I'm pretty OCD about cable management, so I'm going to have to figure something out to handle all of the cables and ensure that there are drip loops before the power strip. All cables are routed into the bottom entry point of the stand where my power strip and timers live, and then the power cord of the strip is the only thing that goes out to the wall. Should look pretty clean when it is all done!

Currently the plan is to get my cabling all sorted out between now and the weekend and then fill the tank and do my major aquascaping sometime this Friday-Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment