Tank almost ready to go...

So I'm trying to resist the temptation to fill the tank prematurely. It's more or less ready to go now, but the OCD part of me wants to put a couple of zip-tie anchors towards the bottom of the back of the stand so that the cables have proper drip loops... This is a hobby wherein dangerous amounts of electricity are put right next to a bunch of saltwater- it pays to be safe.

Today I picked up a workshop-style Belkin power strip with 10 outlets, and a couple of heavy-duty analog timers with two outlets each. One of them is for a daylight cycle and the other is for night; the PC lighting will be on from late morning until late evening. I really want to enjoy the tank under full lighting after work and at night, but I know that some of the corals are going to be a little bit more sensitive to the light cycle... time will tell if I need to reduce the amount of light going into the tank. The night cycle is going to power the Nano Glo in chamber 2. This setup should help to stabilize the pH by stimulating growth of the Chaetomorpha. The heater, main pump, Koralia-1, and moonlight LEDs will be on 24/7.

Tomorrow the plan is to finalize the cabling as early as possible and then pick up the water, live sand, live rock, and some Chaetomorpha from my LFS. I picked out my rock ahead of time and it's been sitting in the sump of a huge, well-established system for a few weeks. I'll also be picking up a API test kit. Given that a lot of the water and live rock is coming from an established system, my tank won't do a full cycle but there will definitely be fluctuations while the tank reaches equilibrium. I anticipate a few days for the cloudy water to clear up, and will perform daily tests for the first week just to make sure the parameters are right. Sometime after the water clears up, I'll be adding the first couple members of my clean-up crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment